Monday, October 19, 2009

Surprise!

Have you ever learned something that you never thought you wouldn't know? That seems a little hard to follow.


I have worked on computers since I was a child. My mother had a Tandy complete with giant floppy disk drive and turbo button. Remember "turbo" buttons? Those were the days. I have, thanks to my supportive family, been blessed with quite a large amount of computer knowledge. I've understood how to use Office and what a mouse was since I was a child. I have built and repaired quite a few computers all by my lonesome. I understand that basics of computer repair such how to access BIOS. I have done it a hundred times from accessing it to flashing it an update to forcing a CMOS switch reset. While studying for one of my classes I learned something I thought I knew.

I learned what BIOS meant. Of course I always assumed it was an abbreviation by its all caps nature. When I learned that it meant Basic Input/Output System I was amazed that I hadn't ever had a clue what it meant. Amazed and shocked. Not sure how often this is going to happen but it did dawn on my while typing this that I have no clue what CMOS means either.

- A. R. McGowan.


it is scary realizing you know nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment